20 Ideas for Your Autumn 2022 South Puget Sound Bucket List
Autumn is not only a beautiful time of year here in the South Puget Sound, but there are many traditions and seasonal delights to discover. Here are 20 ways to enjoy fall in 2022!
1. Visit the Washington State Fair at the beginning of September to explore tons of special exhibits (including farm animals!), enjoy fair rides and fair food, check out the rodeo, and much, much more for a classic “fair experience”!
2. Pick apples straight from the orchard at the Curran Apple Orchard Park in University Place. (The public is welcome to harvest a bag or two of apples starting on August 28th, as long as the tree doesn’t have a “Do Not Pick” sign on it.)
3. Host an epic football game day get-together complete with your favorite autumn snacks like hot apple cider, your best chili recipe, and pumpkin bread.
4. In late September, visit gorgeous sunflower fields at Stocker Farms in Olympia for photo ops and picking fresh flowers!
5. Stop by local purveyors of beer to try some locally brewed pumpkin beers! Tacoma Boys on 6th Ave and Peaks & Pints in Tacoma are just a couple of great places to start your search.
6. Most local farmers markets run into the fall season! Pick up fresh autumn produce like squash, corn, carrots, apples, figs, nectacines, peaches, and more from local farmers.
7. Stop by a local farm stand to buy fresh local autumn produce straight from the farmers! Places like Sterino Farms in Puyallup and Local Boys in Gig Harbor are just a couple of examples where you can find local staples outside of a farmers market.
8. Head to Oktoberfest Northwest at the Washington State Fairgrounds in Puyallup to enjoy German beers, authentic German food, and so much more.
9. Join in the fun at the Scarecrow Festival in Gig Harbor!
10. Attend Cider Swig, the Greater Peninsula Cider Festival, at the LeMay Car Museum to try 130+ ciders along with great live music, food, and more.
11. Fife Harvest Festival at Dacca Park to check out performances, crafts, food, vendors, activities, and more family-friendly happenings!
12. Make your own cider at the Meeker Mansion’s annual Cider Squeeze in Puyallup.
13. Visit a pumpkin patch to choose the perfect pumpkin, get lost in a corn maze, enjoy autumn treats, etc. Check out our blog about Pierce County pumpkin patches to learn more about each spot!
14. Stop by your favorite local coffee shop and try a seasonal fall drink, like a pumpkin spice latte or a caramel apple steamer!
15. Carve a pumpkin with a local theme! (Here are some fun Tacoma-themed jack o’lantern stencils, for inspiration!)
16. Pick up a delicious seasonal pie from popular local bakeries like Susanne’s Bakery in Gig Harbor or Corina Bakery in Tacoma. Autumn favorites like apple pie, pumpkin pie, peach pie, and more are all on the menu!
17. As Halloween approaches, check out a haunted house! Frighthouse Station in Tacoma and Maris Farms in Buckley are a couple of super spooky local options.
18. Admire fall colors on one of many trails in the South Puget Sound! A few of our favorite spots to explore with beautiful fall colors include Point Defiance Park in Tacoma, Wright Park in Tacoma, and the extensive Foothills Trail that runs through east Pierce County.
19. Host a friendsgiving! Gather your friends for an autumn get-together where you can enjoy classic Thanksgiving dishes. Cook it all yourself or make it a potluck!
20. Shop for holiday gifts on Small Business Saturday! This is the day right after Black Friday, and it’s a great way to give local businesses a boost.