5 Interesting Facts About Tacoma’s Greenroads Program
“Tacoma has made leaps and bounds in restoring our natural environment and improving our water quality,” shares REALTOR® Anders Ibsen. “All of our neighborhoods benefit from clean air and water. Runoff from impervious surfaces like roads and parking lots often contributes to pollution that hurts our water systems and salmon.”
Much of this improvement is thanks to Greenroads, “a sustainability ranking system used by the City of Tacoma.” According to Anders, “[The] ‘Greenroads’ designation allows our community to strive for an ambitious goal of increasing the amount of sustainable transportation infrastructure in all Tacoma neighborhoods.”
Here are 5 interesting facts about Greenroads:
- Tacoma became the first Greenroads Community in June of 2014.
- Tacoma has the highest concentration of Greenroads in the nation.
- The program was created by the University of Washington and consulting firm CH2M HILL.
- If a road is a Greenroad, it is “a roadway project that has been designed and constructed to a level of sustainability that is substantially higher than current common practice.”
- One of the many benefits of Greenroads is that it “Significantly lowers construction cost while increasing the projected useful life of roads by using higher design standards and exploring innovative technologies.”